Thursday, November 6, 2008

Buenos Olas


Here on the coast of the Michoacan the dawn starts to peer its eyes in our cabana and I wake up with the sound of waves breaking. Up from bed and out onto our porch I scan the point for the wave conditons and how many surfers are out. Soon I am into my bathing suit and walking down the beach passing by the fisherman eager to get their early moring catch. As I paddle out pelicans fly overhead using the wind to surf waves more gracefully than any person. The beach where I am staying has a long left point break and I have grown used to being on of the biggest flounders in the water. But I am patient with myself knowing that it will all come with time and persistance. A big change from feeling like you are on top of your game pushing your limits rock climbing in the middle of the desert to succumbing to the power of the ocean and watching in awe as the people who have devoted their life to riding waves make it look so smooth.

On November 2 Dia as Mortes (day of the dead) a group of us piled into my Colorado friend´s van and headed five hours east into the mountains. Day of the dead is a time for the Mexicans to celebrate their family members who have passed away and they adorn their graves extravagantly. The entire family goes to the cemetary with buckets full of flowers, candles, idols, fruit and more to dress up their lost loved ones. They even sleep in the cemetary at night and have a few drinks to celebrate past memories. Patzcuaro hosts one of the most vibrant celebrations for Dia as Mortes and their are huge markets, plenty of food vendors who lure you in with tacos, gorditas, siviche, and more. At night we camped in a field with heaps of young Mexicans with an old ruin right across the street. The festivities continued all night with plenty of dancing, car sterio wars, and barracho (drunk) Mexicans. It was an amazing experience but nice to get back to the tranquility of the beach.

After spending over two weeks here and meeting some of the locals and the international surfing crowd, the road is beckoning and I begin to head north. Yesterday I arrived in Ticla just in time to experience some of the biggest crowds in the water yet due to a long weekend. I have heard about this place from so many BC friends and now know why as every other person I seem to meet here is from somewhere in BC. I guess it is difficult to be foreign and exotic all the time. These past few days have really hit me that the countdown is on for the end of my trip. I will start heading north on the 25th of November, seeking out showers and places to stay from people I have met on this trip. No matter how amazing sun feels after a firefighting season or salt water feels after being landlocked, home always holds a special place in my heart.

No comments: